Marriage License Requirements

If you’re planning to get married in Rhode Island you need to obtain a marriage license from the city or town clerk’s office, here are the requirements:


  • Any couple, heterosexual or same sex, wishing to get married in Rhode Island will both need to present a valid birth certificate.
  • The birth certificate must be in English or you must have a notarized translation.
  • You will also need a government issued picture ID, typically a driver’s license. Some cities and towns will accept a passport as an alternative, but not all.
  • If the bride is a Rhode Island resident the couple must go to the clerk’s office at the city or town hall where the bride resides.
  • If the bride is not a R.I. resident, but the groom is, then they must go to the clerk’s office of the city or town hall where the groom resides.
  • If neither the bride nor groom is Rhode Island resident, then the marriage license should be obtained from the city or a town hall where the marriage ceremony will take place.
  • If either party has been married previously, and that marriage ended in death or divorce, then a certified copy of the death certificate, or a certified copy of the divorce decree, must be presented when applying for a marriage license.
  • The couple do not have to be residents of R.I. and there is no waiting period (You can obtain a marriage license and get married the same day).
  • Two witnesses, 18 years of age or older, must be present at the wedding ceremony.


At this time, the city or town clerk’s office will charge you $24, and issue you a marriage license right then. The license is valid for a period of 90 days.

If you are applying for a marriage license in Providence, Providence does not accept cash so you’ll need a check or a money order. Also, at Providence City Hall, applications for a marriage license are obtained in Room 104 of City Hall.